Uberbot comes 3rd! (15 November 2014)
- The Uberbot made it to the finals of the 2014 Loebner
Prize at Bletchley Park in the UK. This is a real live Turing Test, where there are four
judges, four AI computers and four 'real people'. Each judge spends 25 minutes talking to one AI
computer and a real person at the same time, then the judge has to assess which is which. Here's a
picture of Dr Loebner talking to the judges:
- None of the AI computers fooled any of the judges so the $25,000 prize was not won. When this
happens the AI computers are ranked according to the quality of their responses, then lesser prizes
are awarded. Uberbot won third
prize on the day. That's really great and it inspires me to try again next year!
Uberbot and the Loebner Prize (1 July 2014)
- It's a long time since I updated here. The reason is I am working on the Uberbot - an AI
application that holds a basic conversation, built using Ubercode, SQL and XQuery :
- The Uberbot is software that makes a Windows PC into an AI system able to hold a simple
conversation. It uses (1) knowledge files formatted with XML (2) an AI engine using SQL and XQuery
(3) a client program written in Ubercode and (4) a simple text-to-speech convertor for output.
- The Turing Test is able to compare the
conversational intelligence of an AI program to a person. It works by having a Judge who converses
with the AI program and with a person, without the Judge knowing which is which. If the AI program
fools a judge, its conversational intelligence is considered similar to a person's. Some AI
programs have passed simple Turing Tests where the conversation is limited to five minutes, or
limited to particular topics, but there are no AI programs (to my knowledge) that have passed a
stringent Turing Test.
- Every year there is a Turing Test called the Loebner Prize. Wikipedia explains it better than
me, but the basic idea is to set up a live Turing Test between AI programs and people, with prizes
for the best AI. I plan to enter the 2014 Loebner Prize so I have been working hard on the
- When it's ready I will make Uberbot available for download. In the meantime, as part of
Ubercode I have included the client program as an Ubercode example program. This can be used to
communicate with the Loebner Prize
Protocol, or simply to have a chat with the AI program.
- There's a new Ubercode download which includes the Uberbot
client program, and includes many other fixes and improvements made during the year.